Sunday, August 31, 2008

Guitar Hero: The Movie & Facebook: The Movie, or How Sorkin > Ratner

Via Vulture we have noise being made for two projects based on 21st Century Pop Culture icons:

If you're on Facebook (and, really who are you if you're not?!) you can check Aaron Sorkin & The Facebook Movie Group.
"Welcome. I'm Aaron Sorkin. I understand there are a few other people using Facebook pages under my name--which I find more flattering than creepy--but this is me. I don't know how I can prove that but feel free to test me.
I've just agreed to write a movie for Sony and producer Scott Rudin about how Facebook was invented. I figured a good first step in my preparation would be finding out what Facebook is, so I've started this page. (Actually it was started by my researcher, Ian Reichbach, because my grandmother has more Internet savvy than I do and she's been dead for 33 years.)"

And of course, not one to be leave stuff we love alone (ahem*XMen3*ahem) Mr Brett Rush Hour Ratner has given the following soundbite:

“I love ‘Guitar Hero’ and I think it’s a part of pop culture. I would love to do a ‘Guitar Hero’ movie, if Activision would ever let me. I’m trying to convince them, but why would you have a movie screw up such a huge franchise? Not that I would make a bad movie. So that would be cool, to do a ‘Guitar Hero’ movie. It could be about a kid from a small town who dreams of being a rock star and he wins the ‘Guitar Hero’ competition. One of these dreams-[come-true] kind of concepts.”

I'm torn over which movie I'd a) actually watch, and b) actually enjoy. I mean, walk-and-talk scenes will only do so much for those Facebook hallways but seriously, how much can Ratner blow up and underdevelop in something as inane as Guitar Hero?

Sigh. I guess we can all wait for casting calls for both movies to show up soon. I can see it now: Bradley Whitford in Facebook: The Movie and the kid who plays Chris Rock in Everyone Hates Chris in Guitar Hero: A dream-come-true movie. ::snore::

No comments: