Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Baby Mama & Forgetting Sarah Marshall, or How Summer Comedies are here!

Two summer comedies (one with two of the greatest comedic actresses of our times, one so-laden with Appatowisms we should start accepting his films as a certain 'subgenre' of comedy) and too many things to love - even if the people involved, and their brilliant strokes of comedic genius outweigh the actual material when taken at face value. But, who needs a well-constructed plot and a tightly-structured script when you have great people, awesome one-liners, funny physical comedy (the nudity, the peeing in the sink, the car-wrecking, the puppets!) and constant laugh-out-loud moments?

Baby Mama (B+)
Why it (30) rock-ed my socks:
Because nothing beats uninterrupted Amy Poehler/Tina Fey time!

Standout:
Sigourney Weaver. She was pitch-perfect.
Tina: Outsourcing? You mean my baby will be carried by some Third World country woman?
Sigourney: [hearty laughter] No... [jots down this information] Of course not...
AND
Tina: Wow, it takes more money to get someone born than to have someone killed.
Sigourney: Well it takes longer.

He's in this?
Why hadn't anyone told me Greg Kinnear was in this? He's nowhere to be seen in the trailer, but plays the not-Jamba Juice guy as an adorable leading man who's too good to be true (ie. perfect for Tina).

Cameo I loved:
Steve Martin as Tina's 'green' corporate boss was hah-larious. Will he give me 5 minutes of uninterrupted eye contact?

Favourite Line:
Too many. The one that comes to mind right now: "C'mon kids, you have a playdate with Wingspan and Banjo!" (from random nanny/mom at the posh playground) and "I can't get out of your space car!" (Amy having issues with Tina's car door)

Best Scene:
I loved the karaoke scenes ("My avatar is dressed like a whore!") and any scene with Sigourney (see above) - but that awkward scene at the bar when Tina sees her ex- was so purely Fey-ish I actually thought I was watching 30 Rock and not Baby Mama (which isn't a bad thing at all).

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (A-)
Why it rocked my socks:
Because I love Jason Segel, and never has a breakup been so comedically mined and yet still felt so heartfelt and true (loved the flashbacks that revealed Sarah to be a See You Next Tuesday and Peter to be actually a good boyfriend, and not just a lazy ass). And Mila Kunis? Where have you been?!

Standout:
Russel Brand as Aldous Snow. Only Brits can get away with being so arrogant while wearing such skimpy outfits. The restaurant scene with the Tommy Bahama shirt was kind of priceless ("Oh no! Take my eye, but not the shirt...")

He's in this?
Uh, why hadn't anyone told me Paul Rudd was in this movie? And why is it that he's still attractive even when playing a 44 year old surfer loser dude? (Great line: "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail.")

Cameo I loved:
Jack McBrayer (ie. Kenneth the Page) as ... basically a married and sexually frustrated Kenneth? Funny. ("God put our mouths on our head for a reason. No!")
Jonah Hill as... a closeted Aldous Snow lover. Sure, it was way too 'Superbad'-y, but is that really a bad thing? I just hope his homo-man act is not all he's got.

Favourite Line:
Again, too many. I kinda liked "I was gonna listen to that, but then, um, I just carried on living my life." (Aldous, on Matthew's demo)

Best Scene:
While everyone's been talking about the big genital-revealing moments, I actually enjoyed the Dracula Musical ending scene at the end. Anyone else want to see the entire production?

No comments: