Sunday, June 15, 2008

We Sing Viva the Entanglement, or How Jason Mraz, Alanis and Coldplay provide some summer tracks

What do Chris Martin (from Coldplay), Alanis Morissette and Jason Mraz have in common? (Other, than... y'know, releasing albums in the last couple of weeks)

They are wordy lyricists. But I do love me some awkward lyrics put to good music, so here go my suggestions from each album:

Flavors of Entanglement
Alanis Morissette

To be remixed: The electro-ethereal tracks Straitjacket and Giggling for No Reason
To be skipped: The multicultural Citizen of the Planet
To be given a second chance? The murky Versions of Violence
To be downloaded: The first single (with its very pretty video) Underneath and Incomplete

This shit’s making me crazy
The way you nullify what’s in my head
You say one thing do another
And argue that’s not what you did
Your way’s making me mental
How you filter as skewed interpret
I swear you won’t be happy til
I am bound in a straitjacket
(Straitjacket)

Viva la Vida or Death and all his friends
Coldplay

To be remixed: The title-track Viva la Vida and the lyrics-less Life in Technicolor
To be skipped: The Beatles-esque Strawberry Swing
To be given a second chance? The double tracks Yes!/Chinese Sleep Rant and Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love
To be downloaded: The Guitar-Hero-bound Violet Hill and 42

Those who are dead
Are not dead
They're just living in my head
And since I fell
For that spell
I am living them as well

(42)
We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things
Jason Mraz

To be remixed: The funky If It Kills Me and the happy Make it Mine
To be skipped: The rallying cry Coyotes
To be given a second chance? The wordy The Dynamo of Volition
To be downloaded: The ballads Lucky (feat. Colbie Caillat) and A Beautiful Mess

Well it kind of hurts when the kind of words you write
Kind of turn themselves into knives
And don't mind my nerve you can call it fiction
‘Cause I like being submerged in your contradictions dear
‘Cause here we are, here we are
(A Beautiful Mess)

No comments: