Disney is hoping this TV sensation that took the world by storm (twice!) will take over the silver screen and this trailer is hoping to hit all its bases. Let's see, after a ...Baby One More Time/Hairspray sort of opening (with the bell ringing and all) we see Disney aching to set its demographic as wide as possible:
Attract the Urban kids (just put Troy in a Step Up-like background, have him dance with the black kid and have him wear a bandanna)
Attract the Gays with their diva in the making La Tisdale snapping her fingers and shutting down everything about her
Attract the Sporties with a dramatic basketball locker room entrance via #14 Bolton
Attract the Romantics at heart with a dancing in the rain scene
Attract the style-obsessed Sport-Metros by bringing (back?) the white hoodie o'er 'r head.
Attract the Product-Placement kids and have them hunger after Sharpay's perfume
Attract the Comic-prone by showcasing the slapstick antics of Ryan and Sharpay
Attract the Musical geeks by have them wonder what kid of shot is this (I mean, is this a mashup of Maria from Sound of Music of Maria from West Side Story?)
But even after watching the very polished looking trailer (I was afraid it would end up looking like a TV movie on a big screen...) questions remain:
- Is that Ryan?! [The geniuses behind his lovely baseball outfit put him in this?] I really can't tell (why).
- What is La Tisdale scheming?
- Why is one V-Hudge's power(less) ballads doing in the middle of a sweaty Zeffron moment?!
- How many of Ryan's outfits will I want to own this time around? (What did he wear to Prom? Did he take a boy...?)
and of course:
- Why is Gabriela saying goodbye? (::crosses fingers!!::)
October 24th can't come soon enough: hopefully it'll be here before I realize I am not part of the Generation that Disney's trailer alludes to.