Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Lovely Bones, or How I'm Seeing Double

I just finished reading The Lovely Bones (anticipating the 2009 Peter Jackson-helmed filmed) and I was quite taken aback by it. The novel is told by 14 year old Susie Salmon who, in the first paragraph tells us she was murdered in 1973. At once a murder-mystery story and a broken family tale, Sebold's novel is quite interesting in that it focuses on Susie's life in heaven as she watches helplessly how her family and friends live and deal with her death. It could be a hokey concept, but somehow the simple storytelling and the vivid reality of it all made for a fast but a very emotional read. And now, with Jackson filming the novel, I can't wait to see how this story gets re-told cinematically - it could be a weepy tearjerker, but I'm hoping for something more. The casting sounds amazing (Wahlberg, Sarandon, Weisz, Tucci, Imperioli) but I'm really excited to see the triple threat of the girls (Dandon, McIver and especially Ronan):

No comments: