Friday, October 5, 2007

S-Shock, or How you should really do yourself a favour

Now, unless you live under a rock, you probably know I am a Joss Whedon fan - yes that is why Ms Gellar gets a 'guest spot' on my blog banner. Now, being the fortunate and devoted fan that I am (I own Buffy, Angel and Firefly/Serenity in all their divine dvd-ness) I had the great chance to hear him speak at San Diego ComicCon this past summer (pictured) and one of the main highlights was the unveiling of his new foray into webcomics: the crazy thing that Dark Horse Presents (in new myspace form) gave us, entitled SugarShock, drawn by the very talented Fabio Moon - whose brother gave us that other new book I fell in love with.
Why am I telling you this? Because Sugarshock's 3-issue story is over and you should read it. I have very unabashedly stolen this image of Dandelion - our heroine and band-leader from Fabio and Gabriel's blog (but I figured I would pay my respects by linking to it and telling you about their fabulous work!)
So about Sugarshock:
It is a webcomic that features a very eclectic band - Dandelion (lead singer and Viking-hater), Phil the Robot and L'Lihdra (guitars) and Wade (drums). The plot is way to intricate, and crazy, and amazing to try and explain so I'll just say it includes an 'Intergalactic Battle of the Bands," the 'Saddest Song in the World' (along with one of the most fascinating explanations of sound in a comic), Abraham Lincoln daydreams, Space lobsters, amazing sound-effects and my favourite dialogue exchange between a robot-torso and a red-headed fashion forward girl:

- I can't lose you Robot Phil!
- Thanks, can you get my legs?
- I swear I'll make them pay. I will scorch a blazing path of cosmic destruction in your memory!
- Or alternatively you could get my legs.
- By all that's holy...
- Legs. Right over there.
- By the spirit of my in-no-way-viking ancestors--
- Annnnd. The legs.
- You
- Legs.
- WILL
- Legs.
- BE
- Avenged
- LEGS!
- Hey. There's a thought.

So give it a go - here, linked for your convenience is, Joss Whedon and Fabio Moon's Sugarshock:

Issue 1
Issue 2
Issue 3

Joss Whedon, Sugarshock

No comments: