Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Pushing Waitress, or How 2007 is the Year of the Pie

Vancouver made me fall in love with cupcakes, but I fear that after 2007 I will never be able to resist the allure of pies...
Why? Well, the silver and the small screen might have something to do with that. It all started with a certain film earlier in the year...

Waitress
Waitress, featuring Keri Russell and the scrumptious Nathan Fillion star in this indie-warm-hearted film about a waitress called Jenna who makes the best pies in town and gives them witty names too:
I Hate My Husband Pie... You take bittersweet chocolate and don't sweeten it. You make it into a pudding and drown it in caramel
Earl Murders Me Because I'm Having An Affair Pie... You smash blackberries and raspberries into a chocolate crust
I Can't Have No Affair Because It's Wrong And I Don't Want Earl To Kill Me Pie... Vanilla custard with banana. Hold the banana.
Pregnant Miserable Self Pitying Loser Pie... Lumpy oatmeal with fruitcake mashed in. Flambé of course
Needless to say, every time I've watched the movie I've left with a craving for Jenna's pies.

And now, that temptation continues now with the best new show of the season:

Pushing Daisies
Lee Pace stars as Ned the proud owner of the Pie Hole; just a regular guy who makes a living out of making pies (and, oh yeah bringing murder victims from the dead, asking them who killed them and claiming rewards). He works with (Kristin Chenoweth's) Ms Olive Snook ("Every day I concentrate all of my love into a single pie because I feel the customers will experience those same feelings, and I sell more of that type of pie by the end of each day.") and now, the pie-lette addiction has caught onto the 'late lonely tourist' Charlotte Charles who now bakes her own pies (with cheese mixed in the crust and a drop of mood enhancers) and has them delivered them to her aunts in Coeur de Coeur.

Thanks to Jenna and Ned, I am now a devoted pie-fan...
Or in Olive Snook/Sandy's Olsson's words, I am Hopelessly Devoted to you [pies]

2 comments:

Vance said...

How do you know about Cupcakes? That's where I've seen the hottest man EVER serving cupcakes in a tight pink t-shirt and I've been in love since!

And how have I never come across your blog? Luv it! (and I would like to second the Ratatouille nominations)

mB said...

Glad to hear you enjoy the blog Vance ;)
As for Cupcakes, I lived in Vancouver for four years and the Denman Cupcakes was a must whenever I was down at the West End - and yes just the notion of a guy in a pink shirt giving me cupcakes is enough to make me drool...
[Since we're exchanging compliments - I love Tapeworthy, keep up the good work!]